Switch to eco-friendly cleaning products to reduce the environmental impact.
Between the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and the upcoming cold and flu season, cleaning your workplace thoroughly and regularly will be a top priority in the coming months. The good news? There are several eco-friendly cleaning products you can use to help protect your employees and customers while reducing the impact on the environment. Here’s how to get started:
- Understand and evaluate ingredients and product labels
- Reduce plastic use
- Shop smart for single-use items
- Hire cleaner cleaners
Keep reading for tips on how to keep your office clean and sanitary while reducing your environmental impact.
Understand and evaluate ingredients
- Bio-based: Made from ingredients such as plant oil or enzymes, bio-based products reduce toxic chemicals, pollution, and our reliance on fossil fuels.
- Non-toxic: Look for Green Seal-compliant products that have passed strict testing and are certified sustainable or eco-friendly.
- Phosphate-free: Phosphates can be dangerous to your health and our water supply, so choosing phosphate-free products can help protect employees within your workplace and the environment.
Reduce plastic use
For decades traditional cleaning supplies have come in plastic packaging, but there are ways to cut down how much plastic your office consumes. Purchase cleaning solutions in larger container sizes and then refill smaller, more user-friendly containers (for example, hand soap dispensers or kitchen spray bottles) to lessen the total amount of plastic needed.
Shop smart for single-use items
- High-capacity paper rolls, for example, lessen how many towels people use
- One-at-a-time touch-free towel dispensers help reduce waste and the need for sanitizing a high-touch surface such as a dispenser handle
- Paper towel products made of sustainable materials minimize environmental impact
Hire cleaner cleaners
Chances are your workplace contracts for cleaning services. Do some research and have a conversation with your cleaning crew to see what types of chemicals they use, for example, and ask whether there are more environmentally friendly alternatives. Many cleaning professionals may call themselves “green,” so do some research and use this handy guide of qualities to look for in a genuinely environmentally friendly cleaning service.
Green Seal also provides a list of cleaning companies that have met its strict standards for services.
You can find everything you need to beat the cold and flu season in an environmentally responsible way, from hand washing hygiene to kitchen clean-up, with EZ Office Products. Shop online or call (608) 310-4300 to set up your own business account with our local customer concierge team.